Tuesday, April 26, 2005

(Perfect Monday)

I contend that the best feeling in the world, outside of the obvious carnal pleasures, is the discovery of a new great song. Whether the listener is captivated from the moment the intro begins or is swept away later during a rousing chorus, there's a brief moment where one cherishes the thought that he/she will have this song for the rest of his/her life. Whenever I encounter such a song, I almost immediately, and innately, begin to think of where I will need this song. Perhaps I'll need it driving home one day, while drumming on the steering wheel ("The Laws Have Changed"), a catharsis from the stress or boredom of the working day. Maybe I'll need it at a friend's house party at the exact, rare moment when everybody's primed to dance ("Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"). If my sentimentality isn't thick enough already, this last simile will certainly put it over the top: discovering a new song is like making a new friend. For the rest of your life, you'll never be without that wonderful companion.

Monday's show was full of such songs, specifically, "Heartbeat (It's a Love Beat)," as my guests Ryan, Adam, and Blake brought the best from their collection to share with the RIDY audience. It really was a pleasure to be a part of their perfect Monday experiment. Later in the day, I was thinking about what would constitute my perfect Monday. I'm pretty sure that any day bookended by a leisurely breakfast, coffee, and newspaper, and a Dodgers game, would qualify. What say you? What's your perfect Monday?

Comment below, and make requests. Next week, I'll most likely recap Coachella and interview my preaching sister (not the healing sister) who's in town for the Pepperdine Lectures. Stay tuned.

Downlow the Show

4/25/05

Shouldn't Happen to a Dog - Thee Headcoats
I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
I Was Never Young - of montreal
C'Est la Mort - Stereo Total
Heartbeat (It's a Love Beat) - DeFranco Family
Oh My Dear (Falling in Love) - Ween
I Got You - Split Enz
I am an Astronaut - Ricki Wilde
Hey Ma - Cam'ron
When Will I See You Again - The 3 Degrees
If We Can Land a Man on the Moon - Beulah
Busted Afternoon - Old 97's
More Pretty Girls Than One - Lyle Lovett
Pure - Lightning Seeds
Duchess - The Stranglers
Shout to the Top - The Style Council

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with you, that new songs can be like new friends, and i also get so excited when i hear a new song that i like, but i don't agree that it will be with you for the rest of your life...i can't count the times i have heard a song i love and then lost it, never to be heard again, because i don't know the artist or song title.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you forgot to include of montreal on your set list

12:30 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Katie: Sad but true. Still, the song you're thinking of is probably "Found Out About You" by the Gin Blossoms.

Anonymous: Thanks for the correction. I'll update the list.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd really hoped that our show would have sparked more conversation than this.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Not to worry . . . this show's easily the most downloaded in RIDY's history. We need to do it again, but next time with in-studio Aerobie action.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home