Thursday, May 05, 2005

Sistaz

I had planned to post my top ten Coachella performances of all time this week but I'm lacking the initiative. Hopefully, I'll muster up some creative juices and do so in the near future.

Instead, I'd like to briefly write about how nice it was to have my sister and mom in the studio this week. In this interview, I talk with Amy about her ministerial work at the Manhattan Church of Christ. It's not overstating the issue to say that this church has experienced its disproportionate share of tragedies, especially relating to the congregation's children. Still, there are few communities like the church, and this church, in particular, that are as ready to provide aid and comfort whenever and however needed. It's not only an admirable trait, but one that should be essential to any body of faith.

Check out my sister preaching.

Switching gears - what's everyone up to on Sunday, May 15? Diplo, of M.I.A. and Hollertronix fame, is dj'ing at the Standard Hotel in downtown L.A. I saw that fool at Coachella this past weekend and his set tore the club (tent) up. He hit up everything, from his trademark favela music, to David Banner, to M.I.A., to Outkast, to the Cure, etc . . . He's like a cooler Z-Trip, who, by the way, invited Chester Bennington of Linkin Park on stage with him this weekend in the desert. I've always thought C.B. was the cool dude in Linkin Park, like the one who wears Joy Division t-shirts and references Suicide as an influence. I think he smokes and drinks, too. Funny how that makes him my least favorite. Give me that guitarist who wears headphones while he plays. Now that's integrity.

Here I was talking about the church and stuff, and I've regressed to sounding like a cynical hipster. Prescription: less Pitchfork, more Campus Life. Sufjan Stevens? Maybe the perfect medium.

Get Right Church (right click to "Save Target As . . .")

5/2/05 - All Coachella Artists

The Late Greats (Live) - Wilco
Single Again - The Fiery Furnaces
Man Ray - The Futureheads
Does He Love You? - Rilo Kiley
(during backcasting) You Still Believe in Me - M. Ward
Interview with Amy Bost Henegar and Sheila Bost
Oleanna - Laurie Berkner
Rats and Rats and Rats for Candy - The Blood Brothers
Please Stand Up - British Sea Power
Money City Maniacs - Sloan
The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine - Spoon
Victor Vito - Laurie Berkner

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Clarification: All Coachella artists, apart from M. Ward and Laurie Berkner.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear DJ PB,
while I am not a regular listener, I am an occasional reader of this blog (2 xs actually.) As a parent, I have to say I have been skeptical of your show's and this blog's appropriatness your the kids. However, once I learned of your appreciation of laurie berkner, I now realize that you must have a good head on your shoulders. My daughter can listen and read "Radio in Dog years" any time she likes (sadly she doesn't read much. I don't know what is wrong with these kids these days... but I digress.

J

btw, have you heard her live rendition of "good night"? quite possibly the most moving and effective lullabye I have heard. Keep keepin' it real for tha kids...

9:48 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

RIDY is for the kids, and anyone who says otherwise is leading the children astray. Bring them to me and I will feed them music.

Any requests?

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home