Friday, May 13, 2005

So Long, Farewell

I'm not averse to daily routines. In a sense, a routine can serve as a rhythm for your life, allowing you to anticipate and look forward to quotidian pleasures - your morning bagel and paper, a news segment you particularly enjoy on your drive to work, etc . . . One such simple pleasure used to be my daily online perusal of all things music. Sadly, this routine of checking web-sites, receiving emails, posting on bulletin boards, etc . . . has crossed the line. Instead of seeking out this information with a sense of expentancy, it can sometimes feel like drudgery, as if it has become my unfortunate task to monitor pop music. I can't put my finger on why things have changed. Is it a growing apathy towards music, in general? Probably not. Is the vast information one can find on the internet overwhelming, thus crushing the reality of any quasi-normal individual having his/her finger on the pulse of this ever expanding culture? Partly. Am I finally realizing the vapidity of pop music, even (*shudder*) indie rock? I don't know. It's weird that I have to come to peace with this, but I feel like I do. I feel like I'm breaking up with my ambition to know everything about rock and roll. It's too hard and it's not fun anymore. I wish you well.

At least my guilty pleasures can now be less guilty, more innocent. Speaking of which, that new Coldplay song is killer.

Dload Part 1 (Beginning to The Easybeats)
Dload Part 2 (Diplo to the end)

5/9/05

Shouldn't Happen to a Dog - Thee Headcoats
Since You Stole My Heart - Saturday Looks Good to Me
Unighted - Lo-fi-FNK
I'm With You - The Ponys
Sorry - The Easybeats
(under backcasting) Favela on Blast - Diplo
Bucky Done Gun - M.I.A.
Sailin' On - Bad Brains
How Long Do I Have to Wait for You? - Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
Chips and Dip - Spoon
(under backcasting) Favela on Blast - Diplo
Days - Television
Tomorrow Night - Shoes
Boisa-bis-o-boisa - Jens Lekman
Poodle Rockin' - Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Go All the Way - The Raspberries

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it's the fact that there is so much it is overwhelming...this has always been daunting to me. i am surprised you have lasted this long with such enthusiasm.

1:36 PM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

You know you can try to put it off, but someday some kid will say..."you haven't heard of (blank)", and you will try to fake it, but the truth will be that you have no idea. It's part of the media machine...find something new, cut and paste it as many times as possible and desperately look for another new hot fad. It's almost impossible to keep up with. Perhaps your love affair will rekindle again, but it will likely never be as hot as that first Coachella festivle.

Of course the real reason you scower the blogs, the clubs, and festivles is to be one of the lucky few who finds the next big band, or the next earth shattering stars. What it would be like to say that I was there when U2 was an opening act, or when Coldplay was on at 6pm at the club instead of down the street in the arena. If you can find that then you will be able to say..."Yeah I was there back when." That would make it all worth it.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home